The rate of smoking among Aboriginals is worrying because it is increasing day after day. Bargain E-Juice says, The affected people are mostly aged sixteen years and above. Smoking affects minors just like Vaping does to LGBTQ communities. Between 2018 and 2019 they had a very high rate of smoking when compared to non-Aboriginal individuals. The NSW has made it a priority towards smoking rate reduction.
The following are the key reasons why the rate of smoking has remained high in Aboriginal communities.
- Most people have learned this trait since they were children. The community considers smoking a social custom therefore minors are highly exposed to such behavior.
- People are socially disadvantaged in terms of revenue generation. This has made them poor and most kids who drop out of school end up smoking.
- It is believed that smoking relieves stress and for them, stressful instances are very common. They struggle in paying rent and dealing with mental problems.
- Tobacco products like cigarettes are highly shared amongst individuals. It means that even without money to purchase a cigarette, somebody else can share such freely.
The Aboriginal communities did not have a tradition of smoking but it was introduced to them by white settlers. Since then, it has become part and parcel of their daily activities. Despite being aware of the health complications related to smoking, they still use cigarettes excessively. Diseases to the lungs and heart are contributed to by over 7000 harmful compounds found in tobacco smoke.
A lot of individuals have tried to quit this smoking habit but it is hard just like avoiding Vaping. The NSW has introduced a calling service so as to help Aboriginal individuals. The service is tailored for them as it is culturally sensitive. Making it cultural eliminates discrimination cases so as to offer unbiased and efficient services. The service entails the following sediments;
- Advisors for rendering advisory services to individuals. They are trained in special programs that enable them to deal with the Aboriginals in a positive view.
- Coordinators ensure that groups in the society are aware of the availability of this calling service. It ensures that Aboriginals know where to get help every time they need it.
- Specific education aims at helping those struggling with addiction issues. It is not easy to stop addiction therefore this education is paramount for those willing to stop smoking.
- Materials like brochures have been used to promote and campaign towards bringing addiction to an end. It encourages smokers to think about giving up the smoking habit, giving it up, and finally becoming non-smokers.
- Flexibility when making calls so that services are offered towards a maximum benefit. Calls can be extended so that such individuals have enough time for self-expression. Schedules are also fixed upon requests from the Aboriginals.
Understanding Aboriginals and their smoking behavior are crucial so that quitting strategies are put in place. Vaping and smoking addiction are both a struggle that many go through. Those who are willing to quit smoking in the Aboriginal communities are helped throughout the whole process. They do not walk alone because specialists have been put in place to serve their needs. Everyone in society needs a chance for making a change therefore Aboriginals should not be left out.